Thursday, July 14, 2011

Imitation

1Cor 11:1
Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

1Cor 4: 15-16
For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. Therefore I urge you, imitate me.


Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. - Robert Fulghum


I just wanted to take a minute and brag on my daughter if I could. A few weeks ago, our niece was attacked by a pit bull. She is recovering and is going to be just fine. But it was what my daughter did that morning that I want to brag about today.

After finding out the news about our niece, my wife was preparing breakfast and I was reading the newspaper on the Ipad (which is cool by the way). We began to hear our daughter praying about the situation and that our niece (her cousin) would be ok. She prayed out loud for several minutes, asking God for a very specific outcome. She prayed for the doctors who would be performing surgery. She prayed for her cousin, the wound, her healing, the family. She prayed on and on making her requests known to our Father.

I was really proud of my daughter right then. What we do makes a difference on our kids. We are not perfect parents, and have probably made a lot of mistakes along the way, but we purpose ourselves to teach our daughter about God. We also make an effort to be in church on a weekly basis. Children learn early in life by imitation. We make an effort to be examples in our home. My daughter sees us read the bible regularly and spend time in prayer.

This has once again impressed upon me that it is not so much what we say that makes a difference, but what we do. And it is when we see our kids doing what we do, then its time to be proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment