Monday, April 25, 2011

Effective Evangelism 3

1Cor 9:16
For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!


Continuing on with the topic of Effective Evangelism.  How effective are some types of evangelism?   Here are a few more to look at.


Evangelistic Meetings/Services
How about large evangelistic meetings?  I have never really been involved in anything like that, but I do know people whose lives have been changed from these types of meetings.   Effective?

RevivalsWhat about revivals?  Churches used to have revivals in the spring and fall.  I guess some still do, but now they seem just like regular meetings. I assume they are still somewhat effective. Or in the words of Dallas Willard,  "No one can have an unsuccessful “revival,” which once you stop to think about it, makes as little sense as the unsuccessful raising of a dead person… that is no raising at all.”

Home Groups
Home meetings or cell group seem to be the norm these days.  One of the churches I was a part of had their mid week service in home based groups. The attendance at these cell group meetings was larger than our Sunday night services. There were several people saved in these meetings that later became active members of the church. These meetings were non threatening and easy to invite people to.  Maybe that is why churches still use them today.   Effective?

Witnessing: One on One
And then we have the one on one witnessing style.  I believe this is still effective as well, possibly the most effective.   But how many of us still do it?  I have done it in the past but not so much lately.  Is it because we are in a hurry, afraid of what people might say or think?  Or is it because I just don’t care?  How about you, are you interested in telling someone about Christ?    Effective?

When it gets right down to it, everyone has a calling and we have to be obedient to that calling.  Jesus said in Mark 16:15, He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation."  Regardless of what evangelism style you think is most effective, we still need to lead a lifestyle of evangelism as Christians, churches, leaders, each and every day. 

In the comments, discuss these types of evangelism. Which do you think is most effective?  What ones do you use personally or in your church?  What are some other evangelism ideas we may not have mentioned? 





No comments:

Post a Comment