Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Are you David or Goliath?

As I was doing my Bible reading I found myself in 1Samuel 17, the account of David vs Goliath.  We all know the account and have probably heard many sermons from this account in the Bible.  But let me just throw out a couple of thoughts you probably have or have not heard or thought of.

V23  As he was talking with them, Goliath, the Philistine champion from Gath, stepped out from his lines and shouted his usual defiance, and David heard it.

We all have giants in our lives at various times and it seems like they shout their usual defiance.  It is not until we finally get tired of hearing them will we do something about them.  David heard and was determined to do something about it.

V32  David said to Saul, "Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him."

Don’t allow yourself to lose heart; don’t shrink back from a challenge.  Have confidence in yourself and God that you can overcome.
V33  Saul replied, "You are not able to go out against this Philistine and fight him; you are only a boy, and he has been a fighting man from his youth."

Others will see you how they want to see you and may doubt your ability, but you know yourself. Others may say you can’t but God says you can.

V36  Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God.

A lot of times know one is aware of the other battles you have fought. All those battles were just preparation time for the main event of your life.

V38-39  Sauls armor didn’t fit David. Everyone has his or her own strategy to fight a battle.  You have to find what fits you even if its unconventional to others thinking.

V45  David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.

We always come against the enemy with the name of the LORD. He is on our side.

V47  All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all of you into our hands."

The battle is really the LORD’s. He is just using us to show His strength and glory for the world to see.

V57  As soon as David returned from killing the Philistine, Abner took him and brought him before Saul, with David still holding the Philistine's head.

In some battles as in this one with David, people will sit up and take notice that the hand of God is upon you.  Some battles that David had fought know one knew about, they were preparing him for a much larger battle.  What about you?  Do you find yourself in the midst of a battle that people know about?  Run towards that giant and defeat the enemy and people will see that God’s hand is upon you and that God’s glory will be seen!!

4 comments:

  1. I have found myself eager for the battle until it begins. Then, it's not going quite the way I had planned it (like it ever does), so I just back out.

    I tell everyone all the time, I don't want to hear how tough a person is, I want to be there when he hits his thumb with a hammer.

    Toughness doesn't have anything to do with size, it has to do with character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son would say that I am Goliath because he wants to knock me over. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the comment about character. And my daughter like to knock me over as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that God always shows himself faithful when we stand up or speak up for what is right. As long as we are motivated for the right reasons. I am impressed that a reward wasn't enough motivation for any man to stand against Goliath, but the faith of a runt was more than enough to overcome the impossible.

    ReplyDelete