Monday, May 31, 2010

What memorials do you have?

As we celebrate Memorial Day, I would like to take the time to say Thank You to all the men and women who have served, are serving in the Armed Forces of our Great Country. We also remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.  It is because of these men and women that we have the freedoms we experience today.

Joshua 4:7  tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever."

What memorials do you have in your life?  In this case it was a memorial for the Israelites that they crossed over the Jordan River at flood stage and entered into the Promised Land.  In our lives, we can be living life, just going day by day until something happens to make that day a "memorial" in our lives.  Memorials can be good or bad. 

Earlier in  Joshua 3:5  Joshua told the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you."

Many of us will celebrate Memorial Day by going to the lake, visiting a cemetery service, or having family around and enjoying a cookout.  But we can also take time out and remember all the great things, or as Joshua says “amazing things”, that God has done for us.
If you have your family around, rejoice and thank God.  We just received a call from someone who lost her mother last night.  If you are in good health thank God.  We have a friend who received a kidney in a transplant this month and he is doing well and his family is rejoicing.  If your finances are met, then praise God.  I know we have seen God provide for us miraculously this past year. The list could go on and on and be different for everyone.  But they are memorials for us and as we continue this year, be looking for God to do “amazing things” in your life.

Image Courtesy Richard Gunion

4 comments:

  1. Memorial Day is usually one of the times during the year when I reflect on our heroes that serve in the military. I often cry as I recount stories that I have been told and as I write notes of appreciation to those that have served. I am thankful for men and women that serve faithfully and sacrificially for us.

    I also posted a few thoughts on Memorial Day. It can be read at: http://larrywestfall.com/memorial-day-a-day-to-remember-our-heroes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading Radical by David Platt. Granted, I have only read the first chapter. But even so, his accounts of ministry in forgeign countries have made me appreciate the freedoms we have in this nation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time reflecting, just seems like a normal day. It's like I know it's "Memorial Day" and what that means, but just not sure how to reflect on it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having grown up a military brat, Memorial Day was an important thing to us. Often, it was nearly as elaborate as the 4th if a bit more solemn.

    Speaking of thanks, this morning at breakfast, I was reading The Year of Living Biblically, where A. J. Jacobs talks about being thankful for cherries. I had some in my fridge, grabbed a handful and shared in the author's thanks. It's a small thing, not like being thankful for people who sacrificed their lives. But important in its own way.

    ReplyDelete