Friday, May 21, 2010

Thank you for being a friend.

The title of this blog may be a little misleading. When I was thinking of a title, the theme song for "The Golden Girls" kept coming to mind, hence the cheesy title. I just want to blog honestly about something that has been on my mind lately. Before I get into it all, I want to say that I can see both sides of it and am guilty of everything I am blogging about today. So, with that said, here goes.

I think that social media has warped our perception of what a friend truly is. With the whole "friend me" aspect of Facebook and Myspace, I think that we as a society have gotten very loose with the term friend. I mean, if you are on Facebook, it is very likely that you have a friend that you haven't seen in over 15 years. (guilty) You may even have a friend that you have only met once. (guilty as charged) You may even have a friend that you have never met. (again guilty) I know things about people that I haven't seen in over 15 years. Things about their relationships, vacations, illnesses, and just overall drama.

So lets take a look at what the bible says about a friend.

Proverbs 20:6 NLT: Many will say that they are true friends, but who can find one who is truly reliable?

Okay, so when your "friends" post their current situations on Facebook (guilty), you make some generic comment about praying for them (guilty, but I do pray). But are you truly taking the time to be a reliable friend to them, or is it just the obligation of commenting because of the media social world we live in? Just food for thought, like I said, I am as guilty as the next.

Proverbs 18:24 NIV: A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.
James 2:23 NIV: And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.

I don't want to take away from the true friends in life. I have friends that would move mountains for me, and I would do the same for them. But how much greater it is to be called a "friend of God"? For me this blog is going to make me think about how I use Facebook and other social media sites. Am I doing this out of social obligation or because of true compassion for a friend? Whether you just met them, never met them, or haven't seen them in fifteen years, I think this is a heart matter for myself. Obligation or true compassion? Something for me to think about. Thank you for letting me share with you today.

3 comments:

  1. It realy comes down to our attitude doesn't it? Am I really showing compassion and connectedness with people? Or am I simply being a social voyeur? It takes effort, vulnerability, and caring to be a true friend. That's what God showed us isn't it? He loved us so much that He took the initiative; sent His Son who died in our place for our sin; and gives us eternal life with Himself as a result. What a friend we have in Jesus! --Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I think you make a good point. I know that most of my "Facebook friends" are actually acquaintances. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it's just something to be aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good points. good reminder.

    amy in peru

    ReplyDelete