Sunday, March 7, 2010

Don't keep it a secret!

Mark 6:14  King Herod heard about this, for Jesus' name had become well known. Some were saying,  "John the Baptist has been raised from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him."
 Mark 6:32-34  So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place.  33  But many who saw them leaving recognized them and ran on foot from all the towns and got there ahead of them. 34  When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd.  So he began teaching them many things.


Mark 7:24  Jesus left that place and went to the vicinity of Tyre.  He entered a house and did not want anyone to know it; yet he could not keep his presence secret.

From these passages we see that Jesus’ name had become well known, that people recognized Him and His disciples and He couldn’t keep His presence a secret.  We do so much as churches or ministries to advertise and promote what we are doing, but here are the questions we have to ask ourselves:  Is the name of Jesus well known with what we are doing?  Is what we are doing bringing honor and glory to the name of Jesus?  Does the community around us recognize we are disciples of Jesus?  Is His presence a secret in our lives or services?  Do people know His presence is there without us having to tell anyone?


I am all for telling people about Jesus.  That is what we are suppose to do,but can His presence be seen in our lives and what we are doing for the Kingdom?  You know the old saying, "practice what you preach".  Does my life portray the portrait of Jesus that I paint with my words?  Without telling someone who I am or what I do; will they see Jesus in me?  When I am not behind the pulpit or gathered with other ministers or believers, am I the same person?  If I am living a life in pursuit of Christ, just like in the verses above, I should not be able to keep it a secret.  Even in the mundane tasks of life, my witness should bring honor and glory to Jesus.

Don't keep it a secret!


No comments:

Post a Comment