Monday, June 20, 2016

21 Seconds to Change Your World by Mark Batterson; A Book Review

The Lord's Prayer

Sometimes prayer is difficult for us to do.  But it really is easy if we would follow the instructions of Jesus found in Matthew 6: 9-13. 

In the book "21 Seconds to Change Your World" by Mark Rutland, you are shown just how easy it is to pray The Lord's Prayer for your life.  And if you consistently practice praying this prayer, you will find that God will answer this prayer and work in your life.  I, for one, do this every morning and can see that God is working in my life for His good.

Mark Rutland uses the King James Version (KJV) and points out this little twist that I enjoyed. 

Matthew 6:10 KJV, "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."

Matthew 6:10 NIV, "your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

Most modern versions translate this verse like in the NIV.  But notice the difference in the KJV, "in earth" and the NIV, "on earth". 

Mark Rutland points out that we were made out of the earth.  So when we pray, "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth" , we are praying for God's will to be done "in" us.  Maybe a technical point, but I like it. 

The other thing that I have learned through this prayer is the phrase "and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."  I was filling in for a church last summer for 8 weeks and I heard a woman use the phrase, "I do not want my soul captured in sin."  I had never heard that phrase before and now I use it almost daily when I say this prayer.  I also use what I have learned from John Piper when I come to this phrase as well.  I pray that my joy would come from fellowship with Jesus, His Word, and the Holy Spirit.  So, I would encourage you to try this prayer and watch it change your life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment