Friday, May 7, 2010

God Bless Our Moms

1Sam 1:10-11  In bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and prayed to the LORD.  11 And she made a vow, saying,  "O LORD Almighty, if you will only look upon your servant's misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head."

This week we are going to celebrate Mother Day.  And I think we can all say Thank You for all of our mothers.  I was doing my daily bible reading the other day.   As I read these verses I thought of the love and dedication of this mother.

 We all know the story of Hannah, how she wanted to be a mother so bad. But so far she hadn’t had a child.  But she dedicated her self to God in prayer.  She was so dedicated in prayer that the priest Eli thought she was drunk and out of her mind.  But her desire was to be a mother.

1Sam. 1:27-28  I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.  28  So now I give him to the LORD.  For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD."  And he worshiped the LORD there.

Then Hannah did something that can ensure success for motherhood.  She dedicated young Samuel to the Lord.  Not only did she dedicate him to the Lord but Samuel was in church all his life and answered the call to ministry.  All because this woman had a desire to be a mom and dedicate her young son to the Lord.  Thank God for mothers especially Godly mom’s who pray and dedicate their kids to the Lord.

My wife Wendy and daughter Lindsey.  Here is a snippet from one of Wendy's blogs:
(The picture is from the birthday lunch she blogged about)

Birthday Lunch
Current mood: blessed

"Lindsey has been soooo sweet to me today. She gave me a card this morning and lots of hugs and kisses, and then she told me about her birthday present that she has been hinting about for a week now. Her big birthday suprise was to invite me to have lunch with her at school as long as I would pick it up and bring it! It was so cute and we ate McDonald's of course. She told me that she had told everyone that it was my birthday and she must have, because EVERYONE told me "Happy Birthday" as they saw us. It made for a great birthday!!"

6 comments:

  1. I hope my wife feels as special and as loved on Mothers' Day as Wendy did on her birthday.

    I was thinking ... if we could only express that same kind of wonder, enjoyment, and intimacy with the Lord that Lindsey expressed with her mom. What a difference it would make in us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post (and gave me some sermon points too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great read.. I think most of us forget to honor and thank those that are important in our lives until a Hallmark made holiday or until they are gone.. Sad really..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ronnie, this is a good post with a good message. My only question is what about those folks that can't say thank you for their mothers. What if mom was a drug addict or what if someone was raised in foster care? Or what about the mom who has children that are breaking her heart?

    Mother's Day is something that we should celebrate for sure. I will help our children celebrate their mom and hopefully make her feel special. But not every family experiences that.

    I only point those things out because a pastor fiend of mine shared a story about preaching on Mother's Day about how great mothers were only to be stopped by a young adult after the service to tell him that her mother was nothing like that. I guess it has helped me to live with the tension of what a good mother should be and the reality that not every mother is a good mother and not every child is a child that honors their mom.

    I am enjoying reading and listening to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point Larry. Thanks for bringing it up. I have never looked at it that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made sure to dedicate each of our children to God when they were born.

    In fact we had to give up trying to have children and dedicate that to teh Lord before ever we could have children - it's a loooong story that I've partially covered on my blog before and my personal one.

    Good post - I still thank God for my mum though she's been gone these last 17yrs now.

    ReplyDelete