Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Bunnies

John 15:1-2   "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.   2  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful."


We have a family of rabbits living under our little building in the back yard.  We thought they were cute all winter and early spring.  And then I planted my little vegetable garden.  And I do mean little, just a few tomato and pepper plants.  It was then we found out that the rabbits like tomato plants and to my surprise pepper plants as well.

The rabbits ate 3 of my tomato plants down to nothing and 2 of my pepper plants down to nubs.  I was really upset and said I was going to shoot the rabbits next time I saw them.  I decided to leave 2 of the tomato plants alone and also the pepper plants as well.

So today I was out watering the little garden and noticed that the tomato & pepper plants that had been nibbled to nothing had new growth on them and they were showing signs of life.  Now they don’t look like the other tomato & pepper plants, but they are growing.

Sometimes we as individuals and churches go through a pruning process.  But if we will stay planted and keep being watered we will sprout new growth.  Maybe your church has gone through a tough time, been pruned to nothing.

Pastor, stay with it, stay planted and keep being watered and watering your flock.  New growth will come.  Your church may not look like the one down the block but keep with it, new growth will come.
Photo Courtesy Steffen Foerster

6 comments:

  1. This blog rings true for me. It's ironic as one of our points in church on Sunday was to have more margin in our lives we need Prune our activities periodically. I run the fan page for the church and just posted this tip about 10 minutes before reading your blog! Coincidence? No such thing..
    http://www.guardraildamageahead.com
    http://www.thrivefacebook.info

    Plus we just planted a backyard garden at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job...good message...send some peppers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had the same problem with our garden a few years ago. Between the rabbits and the deer we had nothing to harvest!
    Been through the same problems in church too. Went through a tough time of pruning for a few years. Now God is blessing with a harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good wisdom! It's amazing how hard we try to look like the other plants when God wants us to look a little different.

    That will preach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bunnies. We don't really have them here. Too urban. (Or maybe it's the dog next door? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good word Ronnie! Pruning time! Such an uncomfortable, yet totaly crucial, time in our life.

    Derrel

    ReplyDelete