Friday, September 11, 2009

Are you ready for some football??

                                                        Photo Courtesy Cynthia Farmer

Its been anticipated and now it is finally here. College football season started and now the NFL is under way. Now you may or may not be a football fan, I happen to be one and also play in a fantasy football league that is full of competitive guys. So I was reminded of the following verses.


1Cor.9:24-27 ESV 24  Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

Just a few observations from these verses:

1)  We are all in the race or you could say "the game".

2)  It’s been said, "It’s not how you start but how you finish."  "The tortoise always beats the hare."  "You win the race one step at a time."


3)  In the natural race or game there is only one winner, but in the spiritual race, everyone can win if they stay in the race or game.


4)  There are rewards to be won. I want the Lord to be able to say to me, “Well done thou good and faithful servant.”


5)  We don’t run “aimlessly.” We need to have goals. They need to be directed by God Himself and we need to pursue those goals at all costs.


6)  We must have discipline in our lives. If we don’t, we could find ourselves disqualified from the race.

Remember it is not how you start but how you finish. I want to have the Lord say to me one day, “Well done thou good and faithful servant.”  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment